Saturday, June 16, 2012

Blood of Crosses in the Sky

Shadowed streets before me
As I walk alone tonight
Stars and moon empty in the dark
Their pale light just glimpsed through storm clouds
Each step is a leap of faith
Flailing for a hand to guide me
Arms to support me
But my feet sink into blood knee-deep
Blood dripping from crosses in the sky
The bodies of the suffering
The corpses of the defeated
Their stench perverting the night air
Our stench
In blood I slip
Nails pierce my skin
I feel the pain of lifetimes
Unrelieved and unrepented
I gaze up, looking for stars
But blood fills my vision
And the nails pierce deeper, breaking bone
Grinding flesh into the dust of ancient graves
Laying prostrate and swollen
Blood rising over me
Filling my nostrils, my mouth
Its taste overwhelming
All light flees me
All memory of comfort lost...

With all else gone
But the blood of crosses
And bodies hollow,
Luminous hands touch me
A high voice fills my heart
The blood flows away
As I rise to stand again
Clothed in light, pure and soft
Neither pain nor pleasure
Lust or fear
Nothing but the beauty
Of the light of crosses in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment